Salted Caramel Apple Pie
by Dominique Ansel
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tbsp salt
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 2/3 cup cold water
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine flour, sugar, and salt on medium-low speed (about 30 seconds).
- Increase speed to medium and stream in cold water, followed by cold butter cubes. Continue mixing on medium speed (about 2 minutes). Stop mixing just before the butter is fully incorporated (the dough will look streaky and the pieces of butter should be about the size of peas).
- Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and divide in two balls. Flatten each into a disk, wrap in plastic and chill for at least 1 hour.
Apple Pie Filling
- 8 apples, peeled, cored, sliced (I like to use Honeycrisp apples)
- 1/3 stick unsalted butter
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1/3 dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 1 cup apple cider
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together cornstarch, sugar, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Add apple slices and toss until apples are evenly coated.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add apples into melted hot butter. Pour in apple cider and bourbon. Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender (about 30 minutes).
- Remove from heat, let cool to room temperature.
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 2 cup sugar
- 2 2/3 cups heavy cream
- 4 tbsp light corn syrup
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp fleur de sel
- In medium pot, bring all ingredients to a boil, gently stirring occasionally. Once the mixture has reached 230°F (it will get noticeably thicker), remove from the heat and pour into a non-plastic container (i.e. a pyrex or metal mixing bowl). Let cool to room temperature.
- Once at room temperature, whisk well and then chill in the fridge until needed (TIP: the caramel sauce can be made up to 2 weeks ahead; you can also drizzle it over ice cream or add into your coffee!).
- 1 hour before you’re ready to assemble the pie, remove the sauce from the fridge and bring to room temperature.
To Assemble & Bake
- Pie dough (chilled)
- Apple pie filling (cooled)
- Salted caramel sauce (cooled)
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- On a floured surface, roll out 1 call of dough into a 12-inch round, then transfer to a 9-inch pie dish, pressing gently down and up the sides. Pour cooled apples into the pie shell. Drizzle some of your salted caramel sauce across the apples.
- Roll out the other ball of dough. Cut strips that are 1” wide and 12” long. Arrange half of your dough strips across pie. Form a lattice by arranging the other half of the strips diagonally across the first strips. Seal the edges by pressing around the rim of the pie with a fork. Trim around the edges as needed.
- Brush the surface of the pie with egg wash. Bake for 35-40 minutes until crust is deep golden brown. Let cool on a rack for 30 minutes, then drizzle more of the salted caramel sauce on top and serve.